Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Just Hangin' with My Peeps

One of the fun things about backyard birding is that you just never know who may show up in a flock of familiar birds.  You have to check carefully.  At first glance, it may seem like just a bunch of the usual suspects, but you may find the one odd bird in there just traveling along with his birdie pals.
This is also a good way to get one for your life list without even trying!



I first discovered this when a flock of winter Goldfinches descended upon my feeder a few years ago.  They loved that feeder and I got used to seeing them there until one day a bright yellow bird, not a Goldfinch, mind you, was found among them.


Come to find out Pine Warblers like to travel with winter Goldfinches!


Just recently while going through my old birding photos, I came across this bird that as an inexperienced birder I had passed over as a winter Goldfinch.  I had just heard through the wire that Pine Siskins were seen in backyards traveling with the Goldfinches.  And what do you know? 


Pine Siskin Serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment